Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mummy Dearest

Z has been asking me for many, many months now to mummify something with him. He started with a chicken, but I have to be honest, I am just a little too squeamish to gut and prep a dead chicken for proper mummification. Not to mention, that's a rather large dead thing to display on the boat.

So after some research we settled on a potato. Apparently, potatoes decompose much like people do, only faster, smaller, and cleaner. So we cut a person shape from a potato and set him in a container of salt and baking soda for 2 weeks to decompose. The funny thing was Z insisted on putting him in a sarcophagus and tucked the rotting container deep into the bowels of the closet for the proper mood.




We got him out 2 weeks later and Zach started to wrap him up.




Then with a lovely coffin from the craft store painted by Z, we laid our friend to eternal peace in the afterlife. Or rather to temporary stinking of our life on the boat.

The boy LOVES his mummy. He brings it everywhere to show to people. He's named him "King Jones". Right now the mummy lives in the salon on the nature table with all of our fall/ Halloween stuff. I am hoping I can secretly do away with him by Thanksgiving. ;)




If you want to try this at home, check out the instructions we followed in DIG MAGAZINE.
page 28

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so this actually had me laughing out loud. I'm sooooo asking my oldest son tomorrow if he wants to mummify a potato with me. What a neat idea.

I'm still cackling over the idea of making a chicken mummy, btw.

boatbaby said...

Let me know how your potato turns out. Ours is STILL on display now about a month later. He's pretty small though, so no stench yet.

Ms Moreno said...

Could you please tell me where you ound the coffin?

boatbaby said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I got the little wooden coffin at Michael's craft store locally. They usually stock them from mid-late September through Halloween. They run, if I remember, no more that $2 or less a piece. Have fun!

VivJM said...

Very excited to try this idea as doing homeschool project on Ancient Egyptians. Did you have to refresh the salt mixture or just leave him in there undisturbed? Couldn't make that out from the instructions in Dig!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...