Sunday, May 31, 2009

It's just another day...

Living on board a boat near our nation's capital means extraordinary sights and experiences become part of our everyday life.

The phone rings. "Hey, do you want some tickets to see President Obama speak at the US Naval Academy Graduation?" We didn't blink, in fact we were out the door so fast I also forgot my camera. But luckily an entire press corps was there to do the job, so we got to sit back with 30-thousand of our closest friends and bask in the pomp and glow of the very special day.


Zach's observation: "Obama is really handsome! I really like his red tie." My son the fashionista. My thought, after realizing he was staying for the entire ceremony and seeing him shake EVERY hand of the 1023 graduates: "Oy vay he's gonna plotz in this heat, somebody get the president a glass of water please!"



Then the Blue Angels were in town and practicing right over our boat all week. Zach was half excited and half distressed by the noise (not nearly as distressed as Mookie the guinea pig).

Again, my thoughts were more along the Jewish Mother tangent: "I don't think they should be flying that close together. Their mamas would not like this one bit." (yes that's our rigging in the foreground, they were THAT close)



Later that week, this was my view as I was going to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Fireworks! Right outside our hatch.

(isn't sad that I had my camera in the bathroom but forgot it on my way to see the President?!)


But for my sweet boy, THIS was the highlight of the week...

"Mommy, I got to talk to a REAL lady pirate!" We woke up one morning and there she was...
out on the marina lawn prepping to do a talk for a school group on a tour boat. She saw my little guy gawking and was kind enough to walk over and say hello. He's still talking about her.

Presidents, Pirates, Pyrotechnics, jets whizzing by at 1200 miles an hour. Yeah, it's just another day in the neighborhood.

5 comments:

Lily Boot said...

Awesome! All those handshakes. Oh that noise. Lucky Zach - his life is so wonderfully different and interesting. :-)

Tan Family said...

You live such an interesting life! I love hearing about all of the neat things that you do and see.

Emily Cole said...

That is SO awesome! My cousin graduated from the US Naval Accademy when I was about 13 - it was so much fun to watch the Bue Angels practicing the day before. They were SO close together - I remember being on the roof of the house we were renting during our stay - and having to get down because they seemed WAY TOO CLOSE!

Cam said...

It is quite a scene to behold with those Angels, isn't it? At twelve, I watched between my fingers over my eyes...

Sounds like a beautiful day in your neighborhood!!

boatbaby said...

Thank you for all of the comments. I try to remind Zach all the time how lucky he is. I don't want him to take anything for granted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...