Sunday, July 01, 2012

Strawberry Sewing

So earlier this summer I sat down with my foe friend the sewing machine and took a try at making a dress for the first time. I looked all over for an easy pattern that I could wrap my pea head around and came out of each one cross eyed and dizzy. So, I took a little dress Naia already owns, laid it out on some fabric, traced it with a crayon (oh yeah, I am a real pro!), and chopped it out with scissors. In short, I winged it. But it fits her, and from a decent distance it looks cute enough, so here it is.
I took my first stab at bias tape. I would have never managed without this excellent tutorial. It was still a challenge though. I think if I had a team of wee gnomes in heavy flat shoes standing along the tape and jumping off as I came through with the sewing machine it may have gone smoother. I know, I know, that's what pins are for, right? But the pins are pokey and not nearly as cute as a gnome. I was sober during this whole process, I swear. 


My pal Nicole made her first pair of pants for her little boy this summer too. We were chatting about sewing for the opposite gender kiddos and how much easier pants are than dresses. But what really tickled me is that Nicole ended up also using a strawberry fabric for her first pants too. Have a look here, now we have matching strawberry babies on opposite coasts.
(Here is a link to the fabric I used, from a seller on etsy.)

The dress is a little short, so I paired it with hand me down bloomers from Zach's best friend Miss T and the outfit it complete. I am not sure I am ready to crank out another dress. Maybe I will keep looking for an easy pattern... or wait until pants season is here again.

9 comments:

Erin J said...

From a seamstress who loves to wing it or trace with a crayon too, great job! Have you tried a pillowcase dress? Those are super easy and cute. Google it and see if it grabs you. :)

The Ceol Mors said...

You did a great job but now I no longer have a non-crafty friend to commiserate with. It looks great and Naia looks like the most adorable little wee girl ever. <3

The Salty Dogs said...

Anyone who looks at that picture and sees a pucker in the bias tape doesn't have a soul. Nicely done, and perfect with the bloomers!

Victoria said...

Lovely! The patterns from Oliver and S are very well written. It's so much easier to sew with directions then all the steps happen in the right order! I'm missing sewing on my old awesome regular sewing machine. My Sailrite is intimidating!

MargaretP said...

Well done, what a beautiful Summery fabric, this style would be great for a winter dress with a long sleeve t shirt under and maybe a pair of leggins or tights for the cold days.
You will be surprised how you will progress and get ceative now that you have started sewing.

Princess Aboard said...

That is absolutely adorable!

Melinda said...

Cute cute cute! Nicely done! Rae of Made by Rae just posted a how-to fit women's clothes...and might has some hints that you could use.

Deb said...

Great job! If you're looking for some other easy ideas, You can try the Pillow Case Dress or the Men's Shirt Dress. We've done both and they're pretty easy and really cute.

Deb
S/V Kintala
www.theretirementproject.blogspot.com

Serena said...

For someone who *doesn't sew*, you make darn cute stuff!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...