Tuesday, March 19, 2013

trousers

So I know I promised not to complain about the weather... but... it's cold and grey again. We get a teasing  sun day here and there but the overall feel is still rather winter-like. I had these plans to sew my girl some skirts and even try my hand at an easy dress pattern or two, but instead I am cranking out pants. Warm, practical, easy.

I think I finally figured out the trick to sewing the Quick Change Trousers by Anna Maria Horner. The pattern made me dizzy the first few times I looked at it. So I stashed it away, gave the book to SuperJen, and then pulled it out recently without the instructions. And I did it! Reversible pants with bum patches are now taking over. Warm flannel ones for those still nippy days...


And some lighter ones in hopes of spring...


I botched a pair too. Here's my new sewing phobia. I have a stash of fabric I bought a long time ago. Not understanding how the fabric game worked back then I just bought it and hung on to it and never thought twice. Now I have come to learn that certain designers put out fabric and then make it disappear. Forever. So that fabric becomes "rare and valuable". Who knew? So I have a small stash of fabric that I got at a normal price and is now either no longer available anywhere, or people are selling it at a crazy jacked up price because it's discontinued. I was a little nervous knowing that if I botched it (which I often do) I would not be able to replace the fabric. And of course I botched it. But not so much so that the pants can't be worn. I got these cute little knee patches on etsy from Little Red Caboose and then had the gnome fabric by Heather Ross to match. And, well, the mistakes are mostly hidden under her shirt so it's all ok.



And of course I had to make a cheesey nautical pair of reversible pants from the adorable Out To Sea line by Sarah Jane Studios. I know when boat people wear boat clothes it's a little, um, over the top. So be it. I will spare her the little white sailor's hat with this one. Maybe...

And not all of the pants are reversible. I made one pair of capris with some Echino. I used this pattern and just added a pocket and shortened it. Man I so love Etsuko Furuya's fabrics. resisting the urge to make everything in his designs.

So that's what I've been sewing. But I am not the only one on the machine this March. I was going to trash an old tablecloth to the rag pile that had too many stains to be saved, and Zach jumped on it. He knew exactly what he wanted to make and how to do it. I threaded the machine and he was off.

He's very happy with his new soft pillow and I am so proud of him for taking it on. He did a really nice job and the only funky seam was the one I jumped in to help him with. Yea, stay out of it mom. He's GOT it!


Now if we can manage a full week without jackets, maybe I will get inspired to sew some dresses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...