Tuesday, December 18, 2012

wee doll bed

It's that time of year, and rather than post all of the holiday making after the holidays I thought it would be more fun to share now. It's not like the kids will see the blog and spoil their surprises!

The other week a friend of mine brought some clementine oranges over for a snack and I jumped at the chance to snag the box. I knew it would be the perfect doll bed, but I went back and forth on just how to do it. Paint it? Decoupage fabric? Finally while watching the Nutcracker with Zach and seeing the ruffles around Clara's doll bed I decided that would be the nicest... and easiest. Two long strips hemmed and pleated and velcro and there we have it. Then the mattress is simple a stuffed rectangle with some dimples hand sewn in. And a wee pillow too.


The fabric for the bed skirt is Shroomy from Monaluna's Fox Hollow collection (left over from Naia's birthday party crafting.) The mattress is Jay-Cyn designs patchwork from Storyboek II. And the pillow is Birch fabrics Woodland Party also leftovers from her birthday.

Dolly fits perfectly and there is all kinds of room for upgrades like a canopy or something to cap off the corner pieces. But for a free box and scrap fabric, it does the trick just fine.

But I wonder if she will want to sleep in her own bed when she normally has a much cozier spot for naps.

7 comments:

Craftysquirrel said...

Simple and perfect , I bet this little bed will get lots of use.

Shanda said...

Ah, I just love clementine boxes. They get lots of use around here. I love the fact that they stack and you can still see what's inside each box.

Andrea said...

So sweet! I love it. And I love those clementine boxes--so many reuse possibilities! (Though with all boys, I've never had the inspiration to make a doll bed).

Joy said...

That turned out super cute! You did a great job on that ruffle and little mattress. Miss N will love it. :) Those clementine boxes are handy, no? Jenni made one into a stuffed puppy bed a few years ago, and we made one into a "work" holder for Finn's shelf last year. Oh, the possibilities!

Charlotte said...

Adorable does not even begin to describe it!! And don't worry, dollie will still sleep with her, but during waking hours she can 'put her baby to bed' endlessly.

Can't wait to see more of your sewing creations! Hope you don't mind if I pin this idea!

Justine said...

I love the bed, but that last picture is too precious for words!

Kim said...

That is super cute; you are so crafty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...