Thursday, July 30, 2009

Boat Bond

Making friends on the water happens fast. Here's how easy it is.

(yelling across the dock)
Z: Hi! You want to come to my boat and play?
R: Sure.

Instant karma. To say these two were kindred spirits would be an understatement. Zach came and whispered to me excitedly, "Mom, he knows what a 'head' is. He knows ALL of the right boat words!"

Z spotted R across the way on the bow of a new boat in the marina and 5 minutes later they were doing this.


And this.


And this.


You know when you see your kid just "click" so well with another kid? That warm happy feeling of making a real friend. I just watched them and listened to them and smiled all afternoon.

No drama, no BS, no showing off... just talk of snakes and types of boats they like and boogers and making up games where nobody is the bad guy and nobody "gets" anyone. Just jumping and giggling and poking dead things with sticks.

R's dad is a rigger (and a damn good one at that) and they'll be heading to the islands in a couple of months, but I have the feeling these two are going to do some major running around before then.

7 comments:

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Love that final photo...joy and new friendship...so wonderful!

Laura said...

I love it!!! Love the blog...

Little Lovables said...

how fun for them! If only adults could get along and play nice so quickly

mamakopp said...

I love this post and your writing had me grinning. So happy for Zach.... don't you love the age of five?

gardenmama said...

I really enjoyed reading about your sons budding friendship. I know exactly what you mean about when things just click, what a beautiful thing when that actually happens and the kids enjoy creative play!
I love your descriptions of the beautiful life you are living on your boat, the simple organic things of life are what make it so magical!

ellen said...

This made me really happy. And excited for living aboard . . .

waldorfmama said...

beautiful post...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...