Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Flower Power

Flowers all look the same to me. Pretty, puffy, and full of sneezey pollen. I look at plants and flowers the same way I imagine land lubbers discern between brands of dinghy. Other than a rose and a tulip and a daisy, I'm pretty lost in the weeds. But my little boy brought me the book The Flowers' Festival by Elsa Beskow, and he kept asking me questions about which one was which. And I decided we needed to start learning them together.

Z and Miss T loved roaming the marina and the neighborhood collecting bouquets. I am unsure about the etiquette of picking flowers from public places, but we plucked like crazy!

Queen Anne's Lace, Hydrangea, Lavender, and... something or other that was growing from a little tree. We're still working on it.

The kids worked on coloring in their own flowers cut from cardboard.

Even though the wind and the rocking of the boat tends to knock over my little bouquets about 3 times a day, I am sticking with this fresh picked flowers thing. Especially when they are picked by loving, curious little hands. And maybe I'll be able to name more of them by the end of the summer as fast as I can spot the difference between a Picasso Triggerfish and a Clown Triggerfish.

1 comment:

Last Paradise said...

Hi! I stumbled on your blog from The Blankie Chronicles and I'm hooked! We also live on a boat and have a 2 year old boy. Currently we are in Northern Michigan with my parents, but I love to read about other people's adventures with children on sailboats. We'll be back to the boat this autumn then its full time cruising for us. What are your 'cruising' plans- its nice to know who else is out there with kiddo's.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...