Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sweet Home Chicago

You can take the girl out of the city but you can't take the city out of the girl. Chicago always feels like coming home.





It was a whirlwind reunion with the Windy City including seeing the coveted Real Pirates exhibit at the Field Museum, playing with cousin B, seeing some long lost relatives, and a thrill ride on the 150 foot high Navy Pier Ferris wheel.

From Z's point of view it was like home too -- pirates, playtime, things to climb, and blue water all around us. Even though I was born and raised here for the most part, and even though I love this place from the burbs to downtown, I could never, ever live here again. The wintertime temps are not suitable to human habitation. I love my hometown, but I will only visit from May through October.

5 comments:

Joy said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit home. It looks like Zach had a great time as well.

Michele said...

Z must have LOVED the pirate exhibit. Were you there from the time it opened until it closed??

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I've visited Chicago all of three times...but reading that post made me feel a feeling much like homesickness! It's a great town!

Cam said...

This made me laugh, as I am also not suited for winter weather! I just do not see how folks do it! I am too cold natured, and I love the warm sunshine. If it gets too chilly for me here, we might move on down to Florida, haha!

The ferris wheel made me dizzy. I don't do heights. Not out in the air heights, anyway. I love the Peachtree Plaza Hotel in downtown Atlanta, it is glass and has a glass elevator alongside the building all the way to the top, so you can see all of Atlanta as you travel up. But, that does it for me. I don't like being somewhere I feel like I could be swept off by wind, or pushed. Isn't that terrible? But, it's my phobia and I'm sticking to it!

I had a layover in Chicago two years ago, it seemed lovely on the way down and back up again. I'd love to actually visit it someday!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun day! Wish we had weather like you! In Belfast, Northern Ireland we have a fleet of tall ships arriving in August. We can't wait! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...