Thursday, August 27, 2009

Boat Stamp

This is probably the craftiest thing we've attempted thus far and it was crazy fun! Zach was in love with the idea of carving our own stamps from the first mention, and wouldn't let it drop until we boogied on over to the local art store and got some supplies. Basically cutting/ carving tool, soft-kut printing blocks, and some ink.

We opted for the lower end carving block since this was a rookie attempt. I let Zach draw a picture right on there in pencil. He drew a ship, shocking I know.

Then the carving. I'll admit I was nervous not just about Zach handling a sharp carving tool, but also about me butchering his work when I carved.

It was a little rough, the cheaper rubber blocks tend to crumble, but we got the hang of it eventually.

We also opted for cheaper stamp ink for the first go around and only stamped odds and ends from the recycling bin. But now that we have the hang of it, we're going to sniff out some better ink and make a go at creating something useful... some cards, baggies, labels,wrapping paper,gift bags... something.

If you want to see how the pros do this, head on over to Soulemama which is where I first got the idea. I dare not actually attempt to draw any of my own stamps, I think we'll stick to Zach's creations. Besides there is a certain appeal to a kid drawn design.

Even if it IS a monohull.

:)

11 comments:

Joy said...

I think the stamp turned out wonderfully! I'm imagining Zach making his own cards to send family member and stamping gift wrap. A world of possibility!

Anonymous said...

love love love his stamp- it is so great to use for hards, ornaments etc . . . have you heard of letterboxing? We were quite addicted a couple years ago- you might take a peak- I think it is www.lbna.org fun stuff!

Anonymous said...

ha- I meant "cards" can you tell I am still on my first cup of tea! Have fun stamping!!

Ellen Landrum said...

rad- i love that one.

Mandy said...

Very cute! My kids love to make their own stamps too....try pink erasers for mini stamps. They work just as well as the carving blocks and they are alot less expensive.

gardenmama said...

Gorgeous job Zach!!
I love the look of the carved stamp on paper and the monohull is too sweet : )

Diane, Evan, Maia and Charlie the cat said...

Cool - Maia has been experimenting with whittling bits of driftwood - this looks like it might be a nice project for her.

The Curious Holts said...

Oh my gosh...that is SO cool. I love his boat...I really do. You could try all day to make something "folk arty" and not capture what a 5 year old cranks out. We're gonna try this.

this little light said...

I must try this. It seems like it would be so hard, but your little one did a fabulous job!

Beth said...

This is similar to the stuff I am using to do my children at play lino cut series....I found some pink rubbery stamp carving material that is blissful to work with. It carves very smoothly, and I can get nice details and lovely curves with it without getting too tired. I like the lack of angularity, too. But using this material also makes me simplify my lines. I just love it. I will be busy with this medium for a long time! love, Beth

Rach said...

I love that. Do you mind, I've pinned it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...