Friday, November 20, 2009

Thankful Tree

This idea is stolen from at least a half dozen other blogs I read and then mish-moshed into our own version using what we have on board and what works in our wee space.

We searched around the marina for the perfect stick and brought it home. It lives in a vase filled with quarters (laundry money) so that it won't tip over.

I simply cut a whole mess of vaguely leaf shaped pieces of cloth from scraps we have in our sewing basket. I used a hole punch to pop out one side and some twine tied in for hanging.

Then I left the leaves out with some fabric markers and explained to Zach the idea. The rest is up to him. I didn't want to make it so structured as to declare that everyday until Thanksgiving we had to add a leaf. Or that each member of the family had to put one on each evening. I prefer to leave it out, and let it happen as the spirit moves us.

Zach always brings a smile to my face with his thoughtful and quirky things he is thankful for. And this yearI am sure he will come up with some doozies. But lately, even before we started this little project, he's been oozing with gratitude. He literally wakes each morning full of love and thanks, verbalizing it in almost poetic ways. (Mama, you are my jewel. OR I am so grateful for the wind, he makes the trees look like ballet dancers. OR Mama, thank you for taking the time to make my food and clean the boat, I know you'd rather be doing something else.)


There's nothing else I'd rather be doing than hanging out with this boy. He is my teacher and my love and my adventure. And for that I am truly thankful.

13 comments:

Caz said...

That's just adorable :)

Anonymous said...

Very sweet! Zach is such a love. Your thankful tree is lovely.

Jen said...

What a creative and meaningful tradition! Love it and love reading how Zach is so wonderfully in tuned with the world around him. You're doing a great job, Mamma!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea Cindy- it is beautiful in it's simplicity and power!

wholarmor said...

So cool! Your little guy is so deep and thoughtful!

Dionna said...

Love those thankful thoughts of his, they are poetic!

Unknown said...

never left a comment on a blog before, this is the first. bravo!

Tan Family said...

Oh, neat! What a great project. I might have to borrow your thankful tree idea.

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

So sweet. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I know that I am way behind the eight ball here, but I am really trying to get my kids to be grateful... in a world where they have so much more than they need... would you mind if I, too, borrow this idea... even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia... maybe we should... and maybe we will! grace

boatbaby said...

You know having it up and around year round is a great idea Grace! Thanks for the reminder :)

Unknown said...

This is so funny.....Pilot just made one of these on his own. I came down stairs and he had it all set up and was working on it with mega focus. Now we are all adding to the tree.

tendersaplingmama said...

Thanks for sharing the lovely comments of gratitude your son has been oozing with lately! Precious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...