Monday, January 04, 2010

2010

A last minute invite to welcome 2010 with Miss T and her family at their beach house. What a sweet way to celebrate endings and beginnings, with friends who are like family.

(Zach plays horsie to Little T while his best friend Miss T and he devour a new book together by the fire)
We all parked ourselves in front of a roaring fire (what a treat for us boat dwellers!) and spent the evenings reading, eating way too much, and generally being silly. We never quite made it to midnight. At 10:30pm the mamas made an executive decision to manipulate the children's lack of clock reading skills and declare it midnight, complete with count down and balloon popping. And then it was off to sleep, bidding good night and Happy New Year to the full moon  over the frigid Atlantic Ocean.

(liquid moonshine over the ocean is pure magic)

The days were biting and gray, but that can't stop the will of children drawn to the sea. With his new treasure bag in hand (made by our fabulous neighbor Super Jen and inspired by Soulemama's book) it was shell hunting time. The wild winter waves and winds tossed a bounty of shells on to the beach which the kids plucked up with frozen little fingers.


And then it was back to the fireplace. Oh how we loved on that fireplace! It was a perfect get away to ring in the New Year.

(Zach and daddy hypnotized by the flame. Fireplaces are the only thing my husband claims to miss about land life.)

This is going to be a busy week for our family... so although I will try to drop in each day, I may play hookie here and there. Big plans on the horizon...
In the mean time, check out Hip Mountain Mama's One Small Change challenge. More on that tomorrow...

6 comments:

Joy said...

Excellent start to the new year! We love fireplaces too. :)

kate said...

liquid moonshine? Oh, the poetry in those words! And I love the treasure map backdrop of Zach's treasure bag:) Happy new year....sounds like you started 2010 in a wonderful way!

gardenmama said...

Ah yes, the hypnotic warmth and flicker of a fireplace *sigh* It sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful New Year celebration! "Big plans on the horizon!?" I can hardly wait! Enjoy your week xo

Jamey said...

Hi there! I'm delurking to say how much I love reading about your life afloat, and how on my recent holiday to San Francisco I went into the neatest pirate supply store (826 Valencia) and immediately thought about how much your kiddo would probably adore it. I doubt their website is as cool as the shop - the atmosphere was the best part. Anyways, just thought I'd share! :-) Happy New Year!

Cam said...

Yes, yes...liquid moonshine. Oh, the imagery, I can see the water now.

It sounds like a perfect New Year's Eve, and Day. I love that little bag, how cute, and so apropos for little adventurous boys...

We barely made it to midnight, and had a countdown right here at the computer. We stayed up watching funny animal videos and noticed it was suddenly 11:59, so we counted down the last few seconds, and then all went to bed. So mundane, so deliciously mundane.

I imagine I would miss a fireplace if I were out to sea. This place doesn't have one, but it would be so nice to have one again next time we move.

Have fun during your busy week!!

boatbaby said...

Joy- fires are so zen!

Kate - thank you! I love having friends who can sew! I'll get there one day.

Gardenmama - big plans, yes. we are counting the minutes.

Jamey - thank you for delurking & welcome! That's so sweet that you were thinking of my little pirate. That shop sounds awesome! I will have to remember for the next time i am in SF. I hope you drop in and comment some more. And that goes for any other lurkers out there too! Chime in!

Cam - deliciously mundane... yes! I need me some of that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...