Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jail Break

See these three beauties? Pilgrim up front, CJ on the end, and that one in the middle is Gurly. Gurly is a mule and for the record she is a trouble maker. Tipper over of feed buckets, stealer of sheep food, and this afternoon she added a new title to her name... opener of pasture gates.
Yes we had  a full on jail break and stampede in the yard today. The funny thing is the pasture is WAY bigger than the rest of the land, but the mere idea of being on the outside sent these three in a frenzy, with Miss Gurly leading the pack.

Thankfully Zach had the good instincts to scurry on up to the porch to avoid getting trampled. Grandma ran off to the barn in search of sheep food (it's like cookies to these guys), and I ran to get my camera. Yes, I am oh so helpful that way. Then there was Louie, doing what farm dogs LOVE to do, NEED to do.
Louie ran his little paws off trying to herd those rascals back into the pasture. Ok, I actually don't think he was necessarily aiming for the pasture, he was just enjoying the art and sport of real herding (as opposed to just chasing the sheep in circles around the pasture.) And the part that sent us all into hysterics was my dad, chasing after the dog, waving his arms and yelling, trying to get him to stop. Good times. One minute we're planting banana trees and the next it's a full on rodeo show. Never a dull moment here on the farm.

9 comments:

Caz said...

LOL sneaky mule! They do look so pleased with themselves running free though, don't they? hehehe

Joy said...

That's hilarious! I would have totally been like you and headed for my camera. :) I'm sure Zach enjoyed the show (from the safety of the porch, of course). Good times!

gardenmama said...

hahaha and I... well, I got my camera! lol I am loving these posts Cindy, it looks and sounds like heaven. Planting banana trees!!! *sigh*

Cerwydwyn said...

LOL, great photos. Just one thing...judging by the ears, I think Gurly is the one on the far end in the top photo, with her behind facing the camera?

Cerwydwyn said...

Then it occurred to me that you meant the photo under the caption. Duh.

Little Lovables said...

cute story and wonderful photos, especially the middle one, wow!

eringoodman said...

i *LOVE* that you went to get your camera. a woman after my own heart!!!!

onegoldensun said...

Your photos are utterly stunning! So beautiful! It looks like a paradise. We had a cow stampede once when about 100 cows knocked the fence to come and graze in my flower garden. It only takes one rebel to get it started. :) It was pretty wild.

Masasa said...

I can't believe you were able to capture these amazing photos in such a spontaneous, "frantic" moment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...