Thursday, January 14, 2010

Adjusting To Paradise

5-thousand miles and 22 hours later we arrived. Over tired, over packed, and over joyed to be here. Zach and I are spending some time on the Big Island of Hawaii with my dad and step-mom on their farm. It's an escape from cold, it's a chance to unwind, and more than anything it's all about Zach getting some rare, raw, uninterrupted grandparent time.

I plan to post as regularly as off the grid, farm life will allow. So I may be here at odd times. But this place is so very special, I can't wait to share our adventures here. In the meantime, we are still battling jet lag. Zach and I are struggling to sort out night...

(we sleep in the "shed". basically the barn where dad keeps his tools and tractor. after creature close encounters of visits past, we requested a net for our bed this time since it will be a long visit and gecko eggs hatching in my hair and spiders on my toes are not high on my list of things to do)


from day...
(papaya picked this morning by Zach with bread made by grandma smeared with liliquoi butter (passion fruit) picked from their farm and made by grandma. oh and don't forget the Kona coffee)

... and we hope our bodies catch up to Aloha time soon.

17 comments:

Tan Family said...

I hope that you have a wonderful time in Hawaii! Can't wait to see more posts. :)

House Mother said...

What a wonderful opportunity! It's nice to have relatives who live in paradise.

One of the few things I do NOT miss from Florida is lizards/spiders in my bed or snakes in my house. One of the things I love about Ireland -- no snakes!

Kimberly said...

Delighted to see you have arrived happy and carefree in paradise. We will miss you but do our best to amuse ourselves with whatever winter pleasures we can search out while you are basking in the tropics. Next week, we meet our sheep that's a nice warm and woolly activity for the winter.

Emily said...

Wow. WOW! That sounds amazing. Love the photos. Enjoy your time away. I can't wait to read about it.

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

Wow! HAve a great time. What a great place to visit and how nice for zach to be with his grandparents!! Fresh picked papaya...delish!

:)Lisa

Diane, Evan, Maia and Charlie the cat said...

Enjoy the sun and your family sweetie - so glad you made it there!
We're unplugged for the next week or so too - as we sail down outside of the Baja. Going to try using the SSB to send the odd blog post, so we'll see if that works.

Joy said...

Enjoy yourself with all that fresh fruit and wonderful grandparent time. :) I'm only a wee bit jealous.

Ellen Landrum said...

Have a grand time- it sure sounds like paradise!!

Human runner said...

How lovely! Hawaii (the island itself, as well as the Hawaiian Islands as a group) is such a magical and beautiful place. We went to Maui on our babymoon three years ago and enjoyed every second.

I'm jealous of that fresh tropical fruit...

Barney said...

Would Z's Grandma share the liliquoi butter recipe? I want to make it when we go to Costa Rica to see daughter Ginna. Thanks.

We Blog Artists said...

Looks amazing!
And good to hear you arrived safely...I'm emailing you about the WIM...THANK you again!!!
SO happy.
Char

LillyZoo said...

It is an amazing life you lead! I enjoy every post! Geckos are fun... Spiders are icky!

Behan said...

have a wonderful time... it's such a special placer! we have relatives in hilo, waimea, and outside kona... love, love, love the big island. where exactly are you staying? have a malasada in honoka'a and think of me. :-)

Bethany said...

I've always wanted to go! Have so much fun.

Little Lovables said...

how wonderful! I was born in Hawaii and hope to take my family there one day :)

kate said...

just had to tell you...the new camera and you are taking some amazing pictures! And as always, the words paint them too!

boatbaby said...

TanFam - thank you!

HouseMother - no snakes here either!

Kim - we miss you guys! K looks SO mature with her new haircut!

emily - mahalo!

earthmama - the only thing better are the smoothies made with fresh picked fruit!

Di - fair winds girlfriend

Joy - pack your bags and come on out!

ellen - thanks!

freedom - i've never been to maui, but I can see it from our porch.

barney - is this barney from the marina or someone else? If it's you, message me on FB and I will get you the recipe. If not, let me know how to contact you & I will zap it your way.

blog - enjoy your slippers!

Lilly - thank you! agreed, spiders bad (esp when they bite my baby)

Behan - you know the lay of the land then. I *heart* honoka'a - will do!

Thank you Bethany!

Lisa - cool where were you born? Your boys would love it here! but you know that.

kate - aw shucks thank you, that means a lot coming from you. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...