Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hum, Write, Play

This is how I found him. Paper, pencil, and violin all in the book nook. He was humming, writing letters, then playing. Hum some more, write some more notes, play the notes. He wasn't humming on key. And the notes were sometimes more like screeches and scratches than music to my ears. But they were the right notes. And they were all his. And he was so absorbed and so proud and so excited. And in the end, I got to have a front row seat to his first concert.
(a big thank you to Grandma & Grandpa in North Carolina for the wonderfully thoughtful gift of the violin. it's something that will keep on giving for a very long time.)

8 comments:

Cam said...

Unschoolers have the best seat in the house...always front row!

Here's to:

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams...
~Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Caz said...

That is SO gorgeous!

Seven C's said...

That is too cool! I hope sometime you will be able to put up a recording of one of his concerts!
I look forward to hearing his future accomplishments!

Joy said...

That's so awesome, Cindy! I hope he's doing that for years to come. ;)

Michele said...

Can't wait for my concert in May!!

gardenmama said...

so sweet, what a beautiful gift! that is how my oldest son is learning too. unschooling style ; )

Dawn Suzette said...

This is awesome! What a magical moment!

boatbaby said...

Cam- fabulous quote!!!

Stuff - awww thanks!

Seven C's - thank you. I heard you met up with Ceilydh and Totem and the gang! Cool! Safe travels to you!

Joy - me too. music is such a wonderful companion in life.

Michele - he'll be too busy charming Quinn and making trouble with G to do any command performances methinks.

gardenmama - how fabulous! Z is taking lessons, but we were lucky to find a young woman who was homeschooled herself, and teaches a small group of homeschooled kids in such a gentle, respectful way. And I make a point of not nagging him to practice. I want him to pick up the violin out of love, not parental obligation. That's a great way to kill musical talent. Sounds like your son is on the right track!

Dawn - thank you so much! I was all tingly and excited when I found him like this. Mushy mama moment for sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...