Friday, September 11, 2009

After: The Galley

The galley was pretty gross before. Cluttered, unorganized, and the paint had a layer of mystery goo that just couldn't be scrubbed out. Seriously, look at the counter and shelves behind Zach in this photo. Eeeek! It makes me want to apologize to anyone who's ever come over and prepared a meal with me before. Seriously.

I literally took everything out and once I went through and tossed out what we didn't use, combined things that could go together, replaced things that needed replacing, and *gasp* organized things into containers that actually fit their space.

And then we painted. Oh did we paint! Even the INSIDES and bottoms of the cabinets and cubbies got a couple of coats. It felt gooooood.


And behold -- the end result of our galley make over. Actually it's not completely finished, because the light fixtures I ordered are (of course) on back order and so we find ourselves preparing meals by candle light these days. But even without light, it's nice and bright down there on the cloudiest days.
New organization of just about everything into mason jars. We tested them underway already and they move around A LOT less than the platic bins. They fit the space better and look neater and hold more and if one breaks, it's fairly inexpensive to replace.

I love how the paint brightends everything up. But don't look too close near the floor, you'll see where the taping didn't go so well and some odd drips that need to be cleaned off.

Look at that top right cubby, practically empty! I always joked that is we were better organized half the cubbies on the boat would be empty. Well that proved to be true in the galley. I have two completely empty cubbies. It's sort of maddening (knowing how much I need to tidy) and inpsiring (knowing it CAN happen) all at once.


I am loving my organized, whitened, clean new space so much that now I have an even better excuse not to cook. It would be a shame to mess up such a lovely space. Popcorn and cheeese & crackers & apples will be the menu from now on.


11 comments:

Amanda T said...

Wow, nice work. It looks great! :)

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Love these kinds of posts...inspires me to see the after shots and comforts me to see the before. Glad you are enjoying all of your hard work...it does look great! Just curious, do you have to use a special type of paint on the interior of boats?

Joy said...

It looks wonderful; all clean and fresh! I need to do this kind of organization to so many room here. Ugh. It's daunting to think about. Enjoy cooking in your new galley! :)

Erin J said...

It looks fantastic, especially that last photo. You had me giggling with your popcorn comments, too. Nice job sprucing up your galley :)

Caz said...

Popcorn, cheese, crackers and apples sounds pretty balanced to me ;) The galley looks great! I wish my kitchen looked that tidy ;)

gardenmama said...

It looks really great Cindy!
It looks so cozy in your home makes me want to hang out with you for a weekend : ) I love that you have all your things poured into glass canning jars on the shelf, that is exactly how we do it too!

Tan Family said...

Wow! What fabulous before and after pics. This should be featured in a magazine!! :)

Masasa said...

I love when I get organized! Good for you!

Green V-Neck said...

Oh, wow, it looks amazing!

Little Lovables said...

it does look good!

christine ~ ourdayourjourney said...

you made some great use of your space. i could sure use your help!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...