Monday, June 22, 2009

Rookie Mistake

Honey, you know that new flooring we keep talking about getting? The Plynyl? How about we go ahead and install it. Today.

This was this scene this afternoon in the port side guest room. That's ankle deep water glistening over the carpet. Yes, I overfilled the fresh water tanks.

You see normally filling the water tanks looks something like this. (I happened to have some photos from this spring from an article I was working on about living aboard).


But today rather than standing nearby, waiting for the water to reach the top and then turning off the hose, I walked away. It seemed to be filling slowly, Zach walked out in to the yard to watch our neighbors fly a kite, I went to check on him, one chat led to another, and the next thing you know water is everywhere.

This is SUCH a rookie mistake. So much so that the last time this happened to us was 11 years ago on the day we took possession of our very first boat. We popped the hose in, started filling, and walked away. That fresh water tanks on our old boat was positioned in a high point rather than a low point, resulting in cascading waterfalls throughout the boat. We left Ft. Lauderdale that day headed to the Chesapeake Bay looking like a circus boat with every towel, rag, and rug hanging to dry on the lifelines and boom as we headed for the Gulf Stream.

The best was while I was frantically bailing out water with a salad bowl and trying to simultaneously drain out the tank by turning on all of the faucets, Zach picks up my cell phone and giggling hysterically calls my husband to say...

"Hi Daddy, you know what? The next time you and I go fishing, we can put the fish right in the guest room where mommy put all the water, isn't that great?!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zach's comments just tickled me so this morning! I bet you were laughing also!

Cam said...

He clearly excels in critical thinking...

I say that would make excellent use out of the water!

Sorry about your squishy carpet. Hoping it all dries out soon!

waldorfmama said...

now that's 'making lemonade out of lemons' kind of thinking, isn't it? :) eek! hope your carpets are dry now!

Stefani said...

Doh! That sounds a lot like something I would do. Hope your're drying out!

Michele said...

Glad you didn't do that while we were in that room!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...