Thursday, June 04, 2009

Ship's Naturalist

We read all about Darwin's travels on The Beagle and Z loves the idea of scientists and artists being an important part of a ship's crew (especially if they get to carry a paintbrush AND a sword! Yes he's still wearing that pink scabbard he sewed this winter.)

It's especially fun to draw what you see outside when you have a special set of colored pencils that "look like trees so they're tricky and secret." And I try to get special little notebooks for him to draw in. (either from MamaRoots or upcycled book journals from etsy)



In case you're not fluent in 4-year old, that says "STRAW BERY". (It would also help if I didn't have the cruddiest camera on earth.)



Still yet moving. Here yet away. Black dirt under the fingernails next to colorful pencil tips.
Watching him observe, seeing him think through the process and commit his view to paper I realized he was forming a bond to the natural world on a whole new level. There's nothing sweeter than the soft mutterings of a little boy creating in nature.

6 comments:

Caz said...

Those are the coolest colour pencils ever! I completely agree with Zach there... very sneaky pencils ;)

itsystitch said...

Those are awesome pencils! They're much bigger than the ones I've seen. I adore little kid handwriting...

boatbaby said...

I should have posted where the pencils came from. I got them on EBay. If you key word search "twig pencils" you'll see several options.
The guy who has them for $3.20 + shipping and they are 5 inches long are the ones we have stocking stuffer from the holidays).

Anonymous said...

so sweet- we are very fluent in strawberry these days! just love seeing Zach explore!

have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

I just love this post. What a great lesson, mama! And the drawings are wonderful. Keep this naturalist going!

Cap'n Franko said...

I love any excuse to carry a sword!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...